April 28, 2017, 08:43:08 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Extravagant spending.  (Read 2446 times)
Sokurah
RBP Member
IBM PC

« on: July 12, 2014, 01:40:59 PM »

A thing has rattled around in my head for a couple of years now.
...and I've just done something about it.  Grin

Say hello to the new owner of one of these...
...this exact one to be precise. Smiley

Flash
Administrator
Blue Gene Super Computer

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 07:20:03 PM »

Well done, I have always loved Vespa's...

Wink

Coding for the love of it!
sverx
RBP Member
IBM PC

"Ow!!! What's that ?!?!"

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 10:50:28 AM »

Great!
Right yesterday I was reading about midlife crisis on Wikipedia
[...] The result may be a desire to make significant changes in core aspects of day-to-day life or situation, such as in [...] large expenditures [...]
Cheesy Cheesy Wink Tongue Tongue
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:51:02 AM by sverx » Logged
Sokurah
RBP Member
IBM PC

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 07:56:35 PM »

Hrmf, I've heard that theory a bit too many times by now...and as I don't agree with it it honestly won't win you any favors.  Sad

Yes, I am the right age for a midlife crisis alright Smiley Smiley ...but that's not what this was about*.

I've had a motorcycle before and it's a fantastic feeling riding on one. You can only really know if you've tried it. Unfortunately the last one I had was a piece of shit and it really tainted my desire to own one again - which is why it's been 12 years since I sold it and I've only gotten one now.

I've been meaning to get one for 3-4 years, but as I don't really need one (I can get to work on my normal bike in less than 15 minutes), and because I like saving up for bigger things (like a new apartment) I've held back. It was really my recent trip to Cuba that made me consider doing something about it. There was a lot of them there (and they looked impossibly more expensive than I thought they could afford) so when I got back I decided that now was the time. I have the money...so why not. And really - all things told it's not that extravagant a buy. It's used but in really good condition and I "only" paid £2700 for it. It was a really good buy.

I didn't buy it to be cool, or to be seen - I don't care about things like that. I've bought it to make it easier to get from A to B without relying to friends or public transport - and of course just to experience the feeling of riding again. Did you know that when motorcycle riders pass each other they always (or most often anyway) greet each other; either with a nod or a wave? ...you don't get that when you drive a car, and it makes you feel part of something bigger than yourself. It's a great feeling.

* A psychologist may have something else to say about it, but general assumptions don't apply to every one, and in this case - because I'm pretty sure I know how I feel - I'm confident that this is not a midlife crisis thing. I don't have a wife, don't have kids, I live alone. I can basically do what I want. I have nothing to escape from.
sverx
RBP Member
IBM PC

"Ow!!! What's that ?!?!"

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 06:53:51 AM »

I was kidding, of course.
Though you can't exclude midlife crisis because you don't have wife/kids and you live by yourself. Wink

[...]
Sokurah
RBP Member
IBM PC

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 07:26:11 AM »

Just read your PM too.

Yeah, don't worry - I know you only meant it as fun. Grin

It's just that I've heard it so many times now and I don't really feel it qualifies as a midlife crisis.
...but what do I know. Smiley Smiley
Lobo
RBP Team Member
Blue Gene Super Computer

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 04:47:43 PM »

Get out, it's a midlife crisis alright!  Cheesy
Me myself am thinking of Hummer in scarlet with E.A. Poe quotes on the grill and giant stuffed raven attached to the roof, if that's not MC than I don't know what is.
Nice bike tho, if you wear yer tight pants you probably look like that superhero, 'purple arrow' something, forgot the name (purple avenger/super indigo/pink arrow, what was it?).
Sokurah
RBP Member
IBM PC

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 08:54:20 PM »

LOL, what an entrance. Smiley Smiley

...if you stay around you may get to see me in those tight pants. Or not. Whatever works best to make you stay. Smiley Wink

I've done my bit with the MC - the bike...not the midlife crisis. Now get that Hummer and post pics too. Cheesy
Lobo
RBP Team Member
Blue Gene Super Computer

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 10:19:20 PM »

OK Smiley
If I ever get that Hummer...shit, you on the bike as 'Purplepants Avenger' and meself, the 'Scarlet Hümmerbird', unbeatable!
Sokurah
RBP Member
IBM PC

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 10:48:08 PM »

We will be...UNBEATABLE (and very very ...maroon...ish). Smiley
Lobo
RBP Team Member
Blue Gene Super Computer

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 05:28:38 PM »

You mean...moronish, but unbeatable anyway.  Wink
Pages: [1]
Print